My costume a few years ago was awesome! I sewed an easy Marilyn Monroe inspired dress from a men’s 5XL T-shirt that I found at walmart for like five bucks. It was easy to put together, and with some lipstick and heels, it looked great!
Here’s a couple pictures I dug up:
And, here is how I made it!
Keep in mind that I am pretty short and usually wear a size small. You may need to make alterations to accommodate yourself better. I got the shirt at Walmart for around $5 and just made it up as I went along. The whole project took me less than two hours. You don’t need a sewing machine, its way easier by hand. Remember that its only a halloween costume, it doesn’t have to be perfect! Just have fun and enjoy it : )
- So, I took the shirt and cut it off right underneath the arms.
- Then I sewed by hand using large stiches all around the top raw edge. I pulled the thread and arranged it so that it was gathered nicely.
- I measured a piece of thick elastic to my waist, then sewed it together. I pinned it to the skirt in a few different places, then sewed it to attach it to the top of the skirt.
- I used the left over scraps to cut triangles that would be the top and an extra strip of fabric.
- I gathered them until they were the right width, pinned in place.
- Then I sewed them to the center top waistband, and sewed the top closed in the back.
- I made my sash by just sewing the ends of the extra strip together on my machine. I just slipped it over my head and arranged it to cover the elastic waistband and raw edges.
- After that I just had to find some eyeliner, lipstick, and heels.
This dress looked awesome, and I probably would wear it again if I could find it!
This year I want to make another t-shirt dress! I was thinking of maybe being a strawberry hahaha. A red swingy dress with a green leafy headdress.
If you have any questions about the tutorial, let me know!